Pando is an 8,200 foot long siding located about six miles west of the summit of Tennessee Pass. It is in an open valley that was once home to Camp Hale. Camp Hale was a US Army camp built in 1942 to help train members in the armed forces to fight in winter conditions. the camp remained opened until 1965 when the land was given to the U.S. Forest Service. While it was open, soldier came and went by means of rail and a depot, now gone, at Pando.
Email Questions or Comments to the Webmaster.